Farmworkers suffer from the highest rate of toxic chemical injuries and skin disorders of any workers in the country, as well as significant rates of eye injuries.
85% percent of the fresh fruits and vegetables we eat are hand-picked by farmworkers. As consumers, we can support farmworkers when we:
- Support farmworker-called boycotts. This means not buying boycotted products AND informing the company-- by letter, phone call, fax, or email-- of your decision. Otherwise, they may not get the message. For more information on current boycotts, visit these websites: the Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW), Farm Labor Organizing Committee (FLOC), Pineros y Campesinos Unidos del Noroeste (PCUN), or United Farm Workers (UFW).
- Don't waste food.
- Purchase locally-grown, pesticide-free, and sustainably-produced fruits and vegetables that honor just labor practices.
- Support local food cooperatives, farmer's markets, and organic growers' associations that honor just labor practices.
- Participate in local awareness-raising actions.
- Stay informed of current issues affecting farmworkers. To find out about receiving weekly updates through SAF's listserve, sign up for News, Action Alerts and more.
Please SUPPORT the following by buying products from these companies:
United Farm Workers (UFW)
Wine- Chateau Ste. Michelle, Columbia Crest, St. Supery, Dollarhide Ranch, Scheid Vineyards Inc., Balletto, Charles Krug, C.K. Mondavi, Gallo of Sonoma
Roses- Star Roses
Mushrooms- Monterey Mushrooms (CA only), Farms Inc., Del Fresh California Mushroom
Tomatoes- Triple E, Sun Ripe (CA only)
Dates- Patos Dream Date Gardens
Strawberries- Dole Berry*, Swanton Berry (*selected ranches only)
Vegetables- Andy Boy, Muranaka*
Citrus- (Lemons, Oranges, Grapefruit, Tangerines) Sunkist*, Sunworld*, Airdrome*, Big Jim*
*Selected farms only
Farm Labor Organizing Committee (FLOC)
Pickles - Mt. Olive Co.; Vlasic Co.*, Heinz USA Corp.*, Dean Foods Co.*,including Aunt Jane Co.*
* OHIO only
Pineros y Campesinos Unidos del Noroeste (PCUN)
Blueberries & Strawberries - Nature's Fountain Farm
Apples, Pears & Chesnuts - Thomas Paine Farms
Organic Fruit & Vegetables - Moon Ridge Farms
Organic Vegetables - Egor's Acres (Oregon only)