According to a recent study, nearly five out of ten farmworker households in NC cannot afford enough food for their families.
SOS Applicant Information
The Student Organizing School (SOS) provides opportunities for alumni to engage in SAF’s work, receive professional development training and build SAF’s capacity for outreach and education.
- Preference for current college or graduate students that are alumni or recent college graduates. Alumni working on a college campus may also apply.
- We have placements for 8 alumni in NC and SC.
- Preference for alumni from farmworker families and those who have worked directly with farmworkers
- Attend 2 retreats to learn skills in public speaking & how to represent SAF, advocacy, organizing, writing/communications, and grassroots fundraising
- Conduct 2 presentations per year (set up by SAF) to community or campus groups about farmworker living and working conditions and how to get involved with SAF’s work
- Host event for Farmworker Awareness Week on your campus or community
- Attend and organize others to attend at least one action/event per year from SAF’s Activism Calendar (i.e. Día de los Muertos, HKonJ, Lobby Day)
- Fundraise $200 for SAF
- Write 2 guided writings/blogs
- Attend final celebration at spring alumni social to receive certificate and give update on your work over the year
- Financial support totaling $750/yr
- Mentorship and academic credit available
June 1, 2015
|Application available online|
August 21, 2015
August 22-31, 2015
|August 31, 2015||Applicants notified of Selection/Waitlist/Decline|
|September 4, 2015|
Deadline to accept position
September 12, 2015
|Day-long orientation with Solidaridad interns and Levante Leadership Institute, Smithfield, NC|
|January 23, 2016|
Day-long Mid-retreat with Solidaridad and Levante Leadership Institute, Chapel Hill, NC
April TBD 2016
|Final evening celebration/ alumni social, Chapel Hill, NC|
Advocacy & Organizing Director