Most farmworkers are married and/or have children; yet almost six out of ten farmworkers live apart from their immediate family members.
Vision, Mission & Goals
We envision a world where students and community members actively work together with farmworkers for justice in the agricultural system.
We envision communities where there is greater interaction, communication, and understanding among people of different backgrounds.
We envision a world in which farmworkers are empowered to take leadership in the farmworker justice movement and their local communities.
We envision a world where consumers will be more aware of where their food comes from, who grows it, harvests it, and packages it, and the conditions of its production.
One day, all farmworkers will have dignity in their work and livelihood. People United Will Never Be Defeated!
Student Action with Farmworkers is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose mission is to bring students and farmworkers together to learn about each other’s lives, share resources and skills, improve conditions for farmworkers, and build diverse coalitions working for social change.
SAF works with farmworkers, students, and advocates in the Southeast and nationwide to create a more just agricultural system. Since 1992, we have engaged thousands of students, farmworker youth, and community members in the farmworker movement.
- To provide farmworkers and their families with greater access to existing resources through collaborations with farmworker advocacy organizations and community groups
- To link student groups working with farmworkers in order to share their experiences and ideas
- To increase the involvement of farmworkers in leadership and decision-making roles within SAF and to encourage such involvement within other organizations working on farmworker issues
- To create a supportive environment for the efforts of farmworkers to improve their status in our society
- To create internships and other projects that are mutually beneficially for students and farmworkers
- To encourage student commitment to justice and social action
- To increase interaction, communication and understanding among people of different backgrounds
- To provide students from farmworker families with educational and career opportunities
- To provide information on farmworker issues for students, faculty, religious organizations, advocacy organizations, and community groups